Monday, September 6, 2010

Role Modeling & Change


Dear Mr. Kenneth Barnell:

Thank you for seeking out my professional services in hopes of finding a better way to help your daughter Chanelle thrive to include your family as a whole. All in all, helping Chanelle is not about holding on to diagnoses, but rather identifying challenging behaviors and learning ways to change them.
In thinking about Chanelle, I recall my teenage years. During that time, it was difficult for my mother to give me a voice due to her cultural upbringing. So then, I left home at a young age and never returned to which our relationship became estranged, twenty-eight years to be exact. I know my mother did the best she could, but her best pushed me away. So then, my heart goes out to the younger generation because of what I had experienced via my family dynamics and I do not want you, her mother Scarlet or Chanelle to ever find yourselves in that position.

Enclosed you will find information that I was exlaining to you and your family in our first session. I know change is difficult, but change is possible and if you and Scarlet are willing to make an effort to listen to Chanelle's wants and needs, respectfully, you have a greater chance of having the daughter you envision and she having the parents she envisions; parents are the role models to their children. In fact, before we, as professionals, can somehow establish cause and effect of Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), we must first work on the environmental issues, i.e., family dynamics. However, should family counseling not create a positive outcome, we may then recommend psychotropic medication coupled with counseling and hope that medication is temporary.
You have a beautiful daughter, a beautiful family, and I hope that you and Scarlet can begin to rise above for Chanelle's emotional, mental and physical well being--giving her an environment that allows her to thrive.
Thank you for your time and I wish you and your family the very best!
Sincerely,
Dr. Monée N. Merriweather
POSTED BY DR. MONÉE N. MERRIWEATHER AT 10:21 PM NO COMMENTS:
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 6, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment